Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2015 21:36:07 -0500
From:      Stephen R Guglielmo <srguglielmo@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why all the fancy ASCII art in the boot loader?

--Sig_/XJcxCwCs.eNAgiOJRjf4Ylt

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 01:50:57 +0000
opendaddy@hushmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>=20
> On 22. februar 2015 at 4:43 PM, "Polytropon" <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:
> >
> >On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 16:44:22 +0000, opendaddy@hushmail.com wrote:
> >> Hello!
> >>=20
> >> Why all the fancy ASCII art in the boot loader? Every time I boot
> >> I'm distracted by it. Feels like I'm reading an 80s e-zine.
> >>=20
> >> Can't we be more like OpenBSD and keep things simple?
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle
> >
> >FreeBSD's configuration mechanism for the boot loader
> >easily allows that. :-)
> >
>=20
> That is all good, however, why does this stuff have to be there in
> the first place? Just seems a bit unprofessional that's all.
>=20

I rather enjoy the ASCII art. Look at the grub bootloader on linux. I
think the FreeBSD bootloader is exactly as simple as it needs to be.
Obviously you need to provide for options such as custom booting,
alternate kernels, ACPI, and whatnot.

I would say more about this topic, but it doesn't matter what color the
bikeshed is.