Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 1995 12:52:16 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        tpr@picspc01.pics.com (Terry Rossi)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 0202 Snap - How the Heck do you Upgrade

> I have asked this question before, but have not recieved any responses.
> What is the procedure / method for upgrading to the SNAP release.
> I am currently running 2.0R and would very much like to upgrade to
> fix my slip and ppp problems.  Please help.

Since the SNAPS are shapshots of a "very current" release, I think its
addressed mainly for people, who know what they do or for people who
want to play around to see, what they can expect in 2.1.

The SNAPS are additionally being made for the developers so that they
get faster feedback, if there is something wrong, with drivers or
programs.

So I think you expect a bit too much. If I were you, I would do a
fullbackup in any cases, even if there would be an upgrade path !

And, when you have a full backup ... then I really would install from
scratch. Because this is every time a good occasion to get a fresh
unfragmented filesystem...

Additionally you could make a script to save some urgently needed
system files on a floppy, if your backup device shouldn't be fast, to
get your system (uucp,sendmail,net,nameserver,etc.) faster up and
running.

Another way would be to get only the sources of the snapshot and to do
a make world or such ... But such bootstrapping things can sometimes be
nasty I think ...

Be brave, make fullbackup and install from scratch. A good occasion
to check Jordans new system installation routines ;-) Help the world ;-)

	Andreas ///

--
andreas@knobel.gun.de         /\/\___ Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm          ___/\/\/       - Support Unix - akl@wup.de -

                  *** apsfilter - irgendwie clever ***
ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de:/pub/Linux/local/packs/APSfilter/aps-49...:-)