Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 12:57:25 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Edward Wolpert <wolpert@methodsystems.com>
To:        Richard Stanaford <rsstan@yahoo.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nlist - REHASH

FYI-

  I did a fresh build today (Sunday, July 23) using a similar technique
as you. (Except I did a 'make world' before rebuilding the kernel)  Top
works for me.

On 23-Jul-00 Richard Stanaford wrote:
> --- Tom <tom@uniserve.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, Richard Stanaford wrote:
>
>>   The usual problem is that you install a new kernel, but not the rest of
>> the world.  If that is indead what you've done, fix that first before
>> worrying about anythig else.
>
> I did say this happened after going STABLE, which implies that I did rebuild
> the world.  For sake of clarity, the procedure I followed was..
>
> cvsup
> cd /usr/src
> make cleandir
> make buildworld
> hacked /sys/i386/conf/NEBULA from GENERIC
> make buildkernel KERNEL=NEBULA
> make installkernel KERNEL=NEBULA
> cd /
> chflags noschg kernel
> chflags noschg NEBULA
> mv kernel kernel.orig
> mv NEBULA kernel
> chflags schg kernel
> reboot to single user
> make installworld
> mergemaster
> cd /dev
> sh MAKEDEV all
> reboot multuser
> top: nlist failed
>
> All of this completed yesterday with no difficulty.
>
> Now...  is it preferred to apply the patches or mess with the loader?  If the
> loader is the problem, what needs to be done?

Virtually,                                 | Open/Web Systems Architect
Edward Wolpert <wolpert@methodsystems.com> |
                4eb8                 4e75  | "Java. It's not just for