Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 18:51:50 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        lamaster@nas.nasa.gov
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Failure to mount root filesystem after building new kernel

Hugh LaMaster wrote:

> Following my previous custom, I did the following:
>
> I upgraded to 4.1-RELEASE, installed 4.1 RELEASE GENERIC kernel,
> but, have trouble running a newly built kernel, including GENERIC,
> so:
>
> - CVsup the 4.1 stable source tree,
>
> - cd to /usr/src
>
> - "make buildworld"  - no problems
>
> - "make installworld" - no problems
>
> - reboot, old kernel works fine, (of course, can't "ps" etc.)
>
> - cd to /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
>
> - config new GENERIC kernel, make depend, make, make install, reboot
>
> Then, new GENERIC kernel can't mount root filesystem, boot process
> hangs, I unload new GENERIC kernel, load old kernel, and life goes on.
>
> So, I must be forgetting some step or don't know about some new
> step.  I'm running a GENERIC kernel that the release process built,
> why can't I build and run a GENERIC kernel that I built?
>
> What am I forgetting?

What version of system did you start out with before the cvsup to
RELENG_4?

Because of the many choices, it sounds like you could have started out
with a 3.x system and forgot to upgrade from wd to ad style file
systems or you might have used a 3.x config file. You could have used
an old stable-supfile and cvsuped to different version. What does a
"uname -a" show?

In /usr/src/UPDATING, after a cvsup they tell you to use

        To update from 4.0-RELEASE or later to the most current
        4.x-STABLE
        ----------
        make buildworld
        make buildkernel KERNEL=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
        make installkernel KERNEL=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
        reboot  (in single user) [1]
        make installworld
        mergemaster
        reboot

For a GENERIC kernel you would replace YOUR_KERNEL_HERE with GENERIC

Kent

> A few system specifics:
>
> SuperMicro motherboard, 400 MHz P II, Buslogic SCSI controller,
> IBM SCSI disks.

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com