Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 13:20:16 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSup minor port problem today

> Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 13:10:18 -0700 (PDT)
> From: John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
> Subject: Re: CVSup minor port problem today
>

> I spent a couple of years regularly ragging on people to check the
> archives.  Guess what?  It doesn't work and it's a waste of time.
> It just makes us all look like a bunch of grumps.  (Not to mention
> that the search engine isn't working too well these days.)  If these
> repeats are annoying you, then your best bet is to filter them
> locally or ignore them some other way.  Leave it to those who are
> willing (like Peter Pentchev, David Chapman, and me) to answer these
> questions.  Really, sometimes you just have to accept reality and face
> the fact that your ideal world is unachievable.  There are people who
> will check the archives and there are people who won't in a million
> years.  And there are people who check the archives but don't find
> what they were looking for.  Get over it and learn to ignore the
> messages that annoy you.
>
> John

Since I was the one who posted the original message, let me
just say that a couple of people were nice enough to cc: me
messages about this already having been covered, and I replied
to them *privately* so as to not further spam the list with
useless messages. (I only subscribe to the digests so I don't
see the replies on the list immediately)

FWIW, I *did* check the list digests over about the last week
or so but I missed that issue.

One thing that might be really helpful in that regard is some
kind of separate list or web archive or search engine that simply
shows recent known and confirmed CVS/build problems so we can quickly
check it before cvsup'ing a box.

My apologies for spamming the list in the first place.

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium