Date:      Mon, 08 Jun 1998 23:31:24 -0400
From:      Ben Compton <peabody@naxs.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Booting Problems

Hello,

I just installed FreeBSD 2.2.6 on my Dell P-II 300MHz machine and I really
found the install to be painless.  I am having a problem however when I try
to boot.  I have installed BSD on my second hard drive and am using Windows
NT's OS Loader to boot BSD (I was able to do this thanks to a handy little
program called Bootpart)  The system appears to boot just fine it chefcks
all my drives and so forth but the stops with this message "Panic can't
mount root"  the system then reboots.  Has anyone got any ideas?  I didn't
use and of the bootmanagers that came with my BSD CDs and I chose the
option to leave my MBR untouched since I would be using the NT OS Loader on
my primary drive to boot BSD on my secondary drive.  Any and all help would
be appreciated.

Ben Compton

peabody@naxs.com

PS If anyone is interested in downloading Bootpart it can be found at:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gvollant/bootpart.htm

Hope someone finds it useful.

Windows 95: n.
                32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit
                patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for
                a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that
                can't stand 1 bit of competition.