Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 1996 23:31:50 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Cc:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm)
Subject:   Re: fixit floppy trouble on -current 3.0

As Andreas Klemm wrote:

> Well, a df -i shows this numbers:
> Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity iused   ifree  %iused  M. on
> root_device      1319     1137      182      86%   101     281     26%  /
> /dev/fd0         1095     1051       44      96%   381     193     66%  /mnt2
>
> I removed some special devices, and the output of df shows some space,
> but I was unable to create any sd0s3x device. I typed:
> 	sh MAKEDEV sd0s3e
> 	sh MAKEDEV sd0s3f
> 	and so on
> but the commands didn't have any result, because of 'no space left'.

Well, your observation was incomplete.  You should have noticed that
`expr' actually segfaulted... _this_ was what caused the `no space
left on device'.  There was no space for a 600 KB coredump on the
floppy -- obviously. :)

The actual problem was hard to find.  The Posix regexp stuff has been
defined twice, once in libc and once in libgnuregexp.  The latter is
required for the fixit floppy since grep(1) uses it.  However, expr(1)
uses the header file for the Posix regexp stuff in libc, which is (of
course) incompatible with the GNU stuff.

By now, i simply don't know a better solution than leaving out the
Posix regexp stuff from libgnuregexp.

--
cheers, J"org