Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2017 09:30:47 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail seperate mta/msa processes

--BhqivHSexJs6GBAo89E7vkmhCJxKqaufc
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--SlAuhVNOisuxu657dFFIaSbWkXwqpQSt6

On 06/08/2017 16:22, Edgar Pettijohn wrote:
> Currently my mail server is working well enough. However, I would
> like to try setting up multiple sendmail processses with their own
> configurations. So I can have one running on port 25 with spam
> milters, no relays allowed, and deliver mail to dovecot lmtp. Then
> have a seperate process with its own config running on port 587 that
> requires tls+auth before it relays.
>=20
> Is this something people do regularly and is easy to implement? Or is
> it one of those things that after I begin I will wish I had never
> attempted.

Having a separate port 587 listener that requires STARTTLS and
authentication is a pretty standard configuration.  Typically you
wouldn't run two separate sendmail processes for that though.

I dropped sendmail in favour of postfix some time ago, but as I recall,
the essential parts of the configuration were:

   FEATURE(`no_default_msa')

and then defining a series of DAEMON_OPTIONS(...) defining where
sendmail would open listening sockets and the various flags to require
things like authentication after STARTTLS.  You also need a MAILER(...)
definition to configure delivery via LMTP.

However, my advice would be to forget trying to do this with sendmail
and install a different MTA.  I prefer postfix because it combines speed
and security with a rally quite readable configuration syntax.

	Cheers,

	Matthew