Date:      Mon, 9 Apr 2001 18:06:56 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Larry Librettez <lipshitz909@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 100% CPU usage with xmms

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 01:27:41PM -0700, Larry Librettez wrote:
> I've run into an annoying problem with xmms.
> Occasionally when I start xmms, even before playing
> any mp3's, CPU use approaches 100%.  top shows xmms as
> the offender, with xmms hogging up about 90% CPU, just
> sitting there even before I play an mp3.  Even worse,
> to stop xmms I must issue kill -9 xmms or else it just
> keeps on going!  I've updated my xmms port to the
> latest and still this occurs.
>
> This occurs on my 4.3-RC2 systems, both laptop and
> desktop.  The laptop runs a maestro3 soundcard and the
> desktop has a plain SB 16.  The sound itself is fine,
> it's just the 100% annoying excess CPU useage!
>

> Has anyone else noticed this, and can this be fixed?

Please don't cross-post messages like this. Some of us, like me,
subscribe to both the -stable and -questions lists, and it's possible to
get a few hundred unique messages on busy days. Duplicate messages just
make the load heavier for no reason.

Furthermore, this question doesn't belong on the -stable list, at least
not in my opinion. All I can say is that my xmms build works just fine,
and I'm running 4.3-RC from yesterday. If you can't specifically
identify it as a problem with FreeBSD, you should submit it to
-questions. If you're sure it's a problem with FreeBSD, submit it here.
If you can identify the problem and post an accurate bug report or
patch, then it belongs on -hackers.

Since you have very little information on why xmms is causing trouble,
stick with -questions for now. Later, if you haven't gotten a
satisfactory answer, you may consider posting it here.

(I'm sure few people would take offense if you cross-posted a major
disaster, like "Help! fdisk bug ate my slice table!", but for something
as trivial as xmms, the resolution can occur at a slower pace.)

Now for the problem at hand (I believe people ignore my gripes if they
are at the end, but when people have to read the gripe first, it sinks
in). First, check to make sure you aren't running odd plugins with xmms,
this would be the first suspect. Disable everything that isn't necessary
to run the program. Next, disable those options that need xmms to be
suid root, like DGA access (and one other, I think). If your xserver
doesn't allow DGA, it may be causing a problem. Finally, check the
output plugin. Troubles in esd can cause troubles in xmms, like bogging
down. For instance, when xmms crashes on me, a copy of esd is left
running, but it doesn't seem to respond to connections. Hence restarting
xmms will cause it to freeze for a few moments. The solution? First, try
killing any copies of esd you have running before you start xmms.

If these don't work, well, I'm out of ideas. Are you building xmms from
the ports, or building it yourself? If you are doing it manually, use
the ports version. You might also try a prebuilt package.
--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx