Date:      Sat, 27 Jul 2002 14:43:45 +1000
From:      Peter Kostouros <kpeter@melbpc.org.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: About the recent kernel crashes.

Hi

I got something similar after cvsup'ing and generating a system earlier today (4hrs
ago) and running mozilla. Unlike other times, I have a coredump.
I hope the following helps:

GNU gdb 5.2.0 (FreeBSD) 20020627
This GDB was configured as "i386-undermydesk-freebsd"...
(no debugging symbols found)...
panic: bremfree: bp 0xc69041dc not locked
panic messages:
---
panic: Assertion (m->mtx_lock & (MTX_RECURSED|MTX_CONTESTED)) == 0 failed at
/mnt/aux3/cvs/freebsd/usr/src/sys/kern/kern_mutex.c:915

syncing disks... panic: bremfree: bp 0xc69041dc not locked
Uptime: 2h39m25s
pfs_vncache_unload(): 98 entries remaining
Dumping 255 MB
ata1: resetting devices ..
done
 16 32 48 64 80 96 112 128 144 160 176 192 208 224 240
---
#0  0xc028ad40 in doadump ()
(kgdb) bt
#0  0xc028ad40 in doadump ()
#1  0xc028b176 in boot ()
#2  0xc028b335 in panic ()
#3  0xc02bd0a5 in bremfree ()
#4  0xc02be816 in vfs_bio_awrite ()
#5  0xc02651b8 in spec_fsync ()
#6  0xc0264da7 in spec_vnoperate ()
#7  0xc037a385 in ffs_sync ()
#8  0xc02cbe8c in sync ()
#9  0xc028ae1d in boot ()
#10 0xc028b335 in panic ()
#11 0xc0283fef in mtx_destroy ()
#12 0xc03037f9 in in6_pcbdetach ()
#13 0xc02f4046 in tcp_close ()
#14 0xc02f871a in tcp_disconnect ()
#15 0xc02f6fe8 in tcp_usr_detach ()
#16 0xc02b57c0 in soclose ()
#17 0xc02a919a in soo_close ()
#18 0xc02758a2 in fdrop_locked ()
#19 0xc02754f8 in fdrop ()
#20 0xc02754cb in closef ()
#21 0xc027417b in close ()
#22 0xc03c0ec4 in syscall ()
#23 0xc03b435d in syscall_with_err_pushed ()
(kgdb) q

walt <wa1ter@hotmail.com> wrote

A small observation which I hope will be useful:

I started getting unexpected lockups during mozilla sessions after
remaking world & kernel on the evening of July 25.  The screen
would freeze completely, followed a few seconds later by a
spontaneous reboot.

After this happened twice I deleted the new kernel and went back
to using the kernel I compiled on the morning of the same day,
July 25, and the crashes disappeared.

I've cvsup'd and remade the world twice since then (but not the
kernel) and I remain crash-free.

Seems to implicate kernel code committed on July 25, sometime after
about 1430 GMT.

--

Regards

Peter

As always the organisation disavows knowledge of this email