Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:27:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Hechinger <wonko@users.tmok.com>
To:        djb@ifa.au.dk
Cc:        mi@aldan.algebra.com, dl@tyfon.net, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommended compilation optimizations

Dave Boers drunkenly mumbled...
> On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 10:03:40AM -0400, mi@aldan.algebra.com wrote:
> > I've seen  '-fexpensive-optimizations' break havoc in  the squid binary,
> > so I no  longer use it for anything, but  '-mcpu=i686 -march=i686' seems
> > fine to me and tells the compiler  that your only target processor is of
> > the  686  class.  If you  are  not  planning  to  debug the  thing,  add
> > '-fomit-frame-pointer'.
>
> You appear to be right. I just verified dat my 4.1-stable indeed builds
> fine with -mcpu=686 and -march=i686 (on SMP dual Celeron).

just to stir the pool a little bit more:

-Os -pipe -march=pentiumpro -funroll-loops -fschedule-insns2

FreeBSD wintermute.half.com 4.1-RC FreeBSD 4.1-RC #0: Tue Jul 25 12:15:52 EST 2000     wonko@wintermute.half.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WINTERMUTE  i386

for a while there, these didn't work with -stable, but now they work again.
i still build my production boxes with -O -pipe, but my desktop takes a beating
as i try and break it as much as i can.  all in the name of scientific research
of course. :)

-b