Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2007 09:21:39 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
To:        JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
Cc:        bruno@freebsd.org, freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Subject:   Re: powerd freeze with amd 5000 X2 but not with lower cpus

--------------enig21AD7489F8D33EBEE6A43EA5

JoaoBR schrieb:
> On Friday 27 July 2007 12:31:55 Nate Lawson wrote:
>  =20
>> JoaoBR wrote:
>>    =20
>>> Hi
>>> when I enable powerd with default flags (and any other also) the comp=
uter
>>> freezes some seconds after powerd is started. It does not reach login=
=2E
>>> Nothing in the logs. This is with amd 5000 X2 Am2
>>>
>>> When i stick into the same computer a 4600 or 4200 it runs fine and
>>> smooth.
>>>
>>> I thought it is MB related and did the same and again the 5000 cpu
>>> freeze, the smaller ones not.
>>>
>>> Any idea what I should do?
>>>
>>> I use releng_6 amd and i386 same story and cpufreq and acpi is compil=
ed.
>>>      =20
>> Disable powerd again and boot normally.  Try changing the frequency wi=
th
>> "sysctl dev.cpu", etc. and see if any of the levels freeze for you.
>>
>>    =20
>
> ok, this is what I get=20
>
> dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 2600/100000 2400/85596 2200/72544 2000/60778 180=
0/50237=20
> 1000/25535
>
> no need to say but the fan levels obviously are wrong
>
> And now the interesting part I shift to 2400 or any other and immediate=
ly=20
> freeze, that from kde konsole
>
> in single user mode I can shift up and down between all speeds and noth=
ing=20
> happens
>  =20
[Jumping in from the thread started on -stable -
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2007-July/036395.html
- see there for system details]

Same here - in single user mode, even powerd works fine - like it does
with SMP disabled - but no go in multiuser.
> I see some similar discussion on stable but I can not match with everyt=
hing=20
> there because I have the problem only with the athlon 5000 cpu
>  =20
The CPU difference is interesting - exactly what model is your X2 4600+?
Mine is a stepping F, model 4B, rev BH-F2 ("Energy Efficient" with 65W TD=
P).

Cheers,
--=20

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org