Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:32:30 -0400
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@technokratis.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@sneakerz.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [HEADS-UP]: Mbuf allocator changes

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 01:52:01AM -0500, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> If you want accurate stats you should be able to lock the per-cpu
> stats areas all at once as long as you always do it in a certain
> order, basically, lock CPU 0, then 1, then 2, then 3, sum then
> unlock.  If correctness doesn't matter you can just walk the
> per cpu stats locking each (or not) and assumulating the info.

	I don't need to lock the per-CPU locks to merely read the stats
(unless I'm reall obsessed with getting consistent stats at the cost of
performance every time a person issues `netstat -m' or, even worse, runs
`systat -mbufs'). The main issue with the mbtypes stats, as I've previously
mentionned, was that it is difficult to *update* them consistently. However,
I think I have devised a way. I'll keep you posted if you're interested in
reviewing it.

> -Alfred

Cheers,
--