Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 10:21:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        Markus Holmberg <markush@acc.umu.se>
Cc:        Norbert Papke <npapke@acm.org>, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Baffled: Linux JDK 1.3.0 Port

On Thu, 10 May 2001, Markus Holmberg wrote:

> Norbert,
>
> You are not the only one to experience this. I have also experienced
> this (and found it very odd), but never got down to investigate closer.
>
> For me, it's the same but reverse!
>
> /tmp <- NoClassDefFoundError
> /home <- works!
>
> I suspect it is the Linux emulation behaving strange.

Folks,

I don't experience either, but I'd like to just draw your attention to
certain behaviour of the emulation layer, which might cause the confusion.

Namely, the Linux process using the emulation layer (e.g. the shell that
.javawraper uses), when looking for a file or directory, it first
traverses the hierarchy with root in /compat/linux/, and if it finds the
matching filename there, it just looks no longer in the real / . So, if
you accidentally have the filename that matches the one you look for,
located in /compat/linux/, it will be picked up instead.

--

Andrzej

// Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>, Chief System Architect
// WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)