Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 2019 03:39:04 -0400
From:      Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
Subject:   OT: My ssh authorized_keys doesn't work with nfs/nis

My ~/.ssh/authorized_keys files works fine on a machine that is not in my
NIS domain but when I copy my id_rsa.pub (which is what I did to create the
non-NIS authorized_keys) to my NIS account and give it the same permissions
as the working machine it insists on asking for a password.

ssh faraway (non-NIS machine)
does not ask for a password
but
ssh nearby (NIS machine) does

Both have identical authorized keys and both (and their parent dirs) are
set to 644.  Both machines are FreeBSD 11 and the machine doing the ssh
call is FreeBSD 12