Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 2003 09:34:30 +0100
From:      Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@free.fr>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@yahoo.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Rodolphe Ortalo <ortalo@laas.fr>
Subject:   Re: the mythical syscons redesign document ( was Re: Porting wscons )

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 01:51:16PM -0800, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> This is what's been building in my head so far. It's graph-like
> and probably too early for public exposure, but what the hee.

Hey! You'd love KGI. This Kernel Graphic Interface is actually broken down in
two parts:

	- KGI with display/device abstraction
	- KII with input/device abstraction

Both are running around "focuses".

So called devices are "clients" of display/input drivers and all (drivers and
devices) can be registered/unregistered independently. At least two kind of
graphic devices exist currently: /dev/graph for userland interfacing with
the drivers and the TEs (currently a text based one and an xterm).

Also, two kind of input devices: /dev/event for input event acquisition from
userspace (keys, mouse) and the TEs.

The bottom interfaces are input and display drivers. The input driver delivers
input events to the focus management system (the core of virtual term
management). If special events are hooked, devices *and* drivers are switched
depending on the focus organisation (allocation of devices to input/display
drivers). For example, in a multihead config with only *one* keyboard,
if you have your TE on one screen and X on another, you can switch between
them.

A display driver is organized in mode setting and resource (cursor, fb, accel
engine, fonts) methods. KGI provides for complex display drivers a framework for
separating chipset/ramdac/clock drivers and allow building of a complete
display driver with basic chip objects.

One resource of display is a "text". If a display is used for console,
it provides its own method for printing text.

[...]
> Note that text-only VGA drivers themselves have the ability to
> multiplex by switching the display page. So, one could implement
> virtual consoles with the VGA driver only. Need to keep this in
> mind...

Currently, such optimization is not handled by KGI but should be
I believe.

--
Nicholas Souchu - nsouch@free.fr - nsouch@FreeBSD.org