Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 2014 13:58:37 +0200
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brendan Gregg <brendan.gregg@joyent.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs <freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: l2arc_feed_thread cpu utlization

on 14/02/2014 22:23 Brendan Gregg said the following:
> G'Day Andriy,
>
> Thanks for the patch. If most of the data is in one list (anyone have statistics
> to confirm such a likelyhood? I know this happened a lot pre-list-split), then I
> think this means we only scan that at 1/32nd of the previous rate. It should
> solve the CPU issue, but could make warmup very slow.

Brendan,

I do not have any stats, but I think that the data should be spread more or less
evenly between the lists.  I mean the 16 sub-lists for data and 16 sub-lists for
metadata.  First, a list is picked up based on hash and that _should_ produce
more or less even distribution.  Second, if the hash funciton is not good enough
then whole list splitting is pointless.
In either case this was just a quick hack on my part.

> I think the feed algorithm needs to be rethought, although that can be done as
> future work. I'm trying to think of what simple that can be done right now to
> solve CPU usage and warmup rate.

I completely agree with you.  I do not particularly like the fact that the
threshold is per sub-list in FreeBSD.  I would prefer a more "wholisitic" threshold.

> Lets say we keep this change, but in l2arc_write_buffers we maintain an extra
> copy of write_sz, say, list_write_sz, that is reset to zero for each list. Then,
> when we reach headroom and choose to abort, we can check list_write_sz and
> determine how fruitful the scanning has been so far. If that's greater than a
> threshold, then keep scanning, up to the full L2ARC_WRITE_SIZE for that list.
> That way, we've scanned only 1/32nd of the previous length as a test, and only
> if that is fruitful enough do we keep scanning.
>
> Again, it probably needs to be rethought, but something like that may work fine
> in the meantime.

This sounds interesting.  I will think more about this.
Thanks!