Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 21:12:34 +0100
From:      Tor.Egge@fast.no
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems in VM structure ?

>     Ach.
>
>     So why isn't it panicing on boot?  Why does the machine
>     destabilize and die later on with all sorts of problems?
>     Is it trying to use more page table entries then were allocated
>     for the kernel_map?  Is the submap allocator broken?

The numbers I gave for kva consumptions by zones etc. might not
be completely accurate.  Thus kernel_map might be sufficient large
for boot.

But kernel_map is used directly later (pipes, imgact_gzip, link_elf,
resource lists, pmap_new_proc, ...), and one of those KVM consumers
might have insufficient error handling when kernel_map no longer
has sufficient contiguous free space.

>     Is there some test we can add to panic the machine at boot
>     time if KVM is over-reserved?

You might give a warning (or panic) if kernel_map has less free space
than some predefined limits (using kernel configuration parameters when
calculating the limits).

- Tor Egge