Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2000 19:24:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Neff_Glen@emc.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem mouting NFS exports from multi-homed servers

:The one problem standing in the way of my being able to implement this
:solution is a very specific problem with mounting NFS exports from
:multi-homed servers on our network.  We have this problem both from the
:FreeBSD box itself and from the "NAT'ed" clients on the 10.x.x.x networks it
:serves.

    There are two solutions to this problem, both involving fixing the
    NFS server.

    The problem is that the FreeBSD NFS server would respond to UDP NFS
    packets using a different source IP then they were sent to.

    The solution is to either use TCP NFS mounts, or to use the -h option
    to nfsd (see 'man nfsd') to force nfsd to bind to and respond
    to UDP packets using the same interface IP.

    'man nfsd' should give you enough information to fix this on your
    NFS server.  You should not have to mess with the clients at all.

    I'm pretty sure I backported this feature to 3.x.

						-Matt