Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2012 12:34:26 +0100
From:      Egoitz Aurrekoetxea Aurre <egoitz@ramattack.net>
To:        Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: about unattended installation

Good morning,

El 19/12/2012, a las 19:59, Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com> =
escribi=F3:

>=20
> On Dec 19, 2012, at 10:06 AM, Egoitz Aurrekoetxea Aurre wrote:
>=20
>> Good afternoon,
>>=20
>> One little question=85 I'm trying to have ready our new unattended =
FreeBSD installation system. Until now, I have been using Sysinstall =
scripting file but now with 9.1 out I think it's moment to start using =
BSDInstaller in the unattended installation process.
>=20
> Hold on a moment. You might want to wait until 9.2. (read more below)
>=20

Well in the ftp can be seen :=20

FreeBSD-9.1-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso downloadable file=85. so I assume =
it's a release???

>=20
>=20
>> I have seen the new installer, works basically like an script=85. my =
real question is=85 before I did in install.cfg something like :=20
like=85 'bsdinstall partedit _______________________' am I wrong??.
>=20
> You're correct. In 9.0 and 9.1, it's just not feasible to man-handle =
the user interface (partedit) as one could sysinstall. (read below about =
9.2)
>=20
>=20

So I suppose that till the new installer is able to handle this in a =
similar way to sysinstall (although the syntax to be different or =
whatever)=85. or partitioning can be achieved in some non interactive =
way, to maintain the possibility of rebuilding one's own release in =
order to be able to use sysinstall and to be able to maintain working =
unattended installation systems=85. because this is essential for some =
of us=85.. and of course sysinstall to still continue working :)...

>=20
>> So I assume all should be done by hand like this example of the =
Handbook :=20
>>=20
>> # dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/dev/da1 bs=3D1k count=3D1
>> # fdisk -BI da1 #Initialize your new disk
>> # bsdlabel -B -w da1s1 auto #Label it.
>> # bsdlabel -e da1s1 # Edit the bsdlabel just created and add any =
partitions.
>> # mkdir -p /1
>> # newfs /dev/da1s1e # Repeat this for every partition you created.
>> # mount /dev/da1s1e /1 # Mount the partition(s)
>> # vi /etc/fstab # Add the appropriate entry/entries to your =
/etc/fstab.
>>=20
>> In the auto script=85.
>>=20
>> am I wrong?.  If the answer is yes=85 could you point me to some =
documentation in order to be able to complete all this doc.
>=20
> The answer is (unfortunately) yes=85 that is until (hopefully) 9.2.
>=20
> It's an on-going significant amount of work to make add backward =
compatibility (so bsdinstall can load sysinstall "install.cfg" files). =
I'm not going to discuss the specifics here or yet, but I'm actively =
working on it.
>=20
> No docs on how to mangle the auto script to do what you want (that I =
know of).

Ok then  :)

>=20
>=20
>=20
>> Apart from all this=85 is Sysinstall going to be maintained in =
parallel?.
>>=20
>=20
> Sysinstall is dead.

Devin, sysinstall should not be died till the new installer allows or =
exists a way of doing same thing than before we did in some manner or =
other one=85.. because else=85 don't know... can this commands be =
translated to gpart for example??=85 and to act in a non interactive =
way??. But apart from the own gpart the are later other parts of the =
installation which should be done too=85 like selecting which =
distributions to install in a non interactive way for example=85.. if =
that is not possible to be done=85 in a non interactive way=85. =
sysinstall should not disappear=85.

> The bsdinstall you know can be considered the "first generation" and =
accordingly is a bit spartan. I'm working hard on the next generation. =
My plan is to have 10.0 with bsdinstall able to run sysinstall scripts =
(for backward compatibility; can't yet say what 9.x release will be =
MFC'd to, but that could be 9.2).
>=20
> I'm planning one helluva BSDCan-2013 presentation.
> --=20
> Devin
>=20

Thanks a lot for all !!