Date:      Sat, 06 Nov 1999 20:23:33 -0600
From:      Chris Csanady <cc@137.org>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Threads goals version III

"Daniel C. Sobral" wrote:

> Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Multiple scheduler reservations, and PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM...
> >
> > Can each of these scheduler reservations be at different system
> > scheduling priorities?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Now I don't get it... Since system scope scheduling & multiple
> (system) scheduling priorities has to work for the single CPU case,
> how can multiple scheduler reservations help?

I don't see the problem.  So, you ask for two quantum--they will end
up being on the same CPU in this case.  They may still be scheduled in
different classes as you please.

The idea is that you don't want to do this in general, because you
have more context switches than necessary, and increased process
migration.  Asking for the same number of quanta as CPU's is simply
the optimal case.

Or, at least that is how I understand it..

Chris