Date:      Mon, 05 Mar 2001 18:26:25 +0100
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Lonnie Cumberland <lonnie_cumberland@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inittab?

Lonnie Cumberland schrieb:

> Hello All,
>
> Could some one plese tell me where I make the changes so that FreeBSD will
> start up with KDM and the login screen instead of using startx.
>
> In Linux, we generally just change the setting in the inittab file, FreeBSD
> does not seem to have one.

Have a look at /usr/local/etv/rc.d/

Mine contains
---<kdm.sh>---
#!/bin/sh
#
# $Id: kdm.sh,v 1.1 2001/03/05 17:21:56 so Exp $
#
# Script to start kdm automagically at boot time
#
# $Log: kdm.sh,v $
# Revision 1.1  2001/03/05 17:21:56  so
# Initial revision
#
#

if [ -x /usr/local/bin/kdm ]
then
        echo " kdm"
        (sleep 60; /usr/local/bin/kdm)&
fi
which is quit brute force, as it assumes some simple things to succed
before this script runs. There are better ways to do it, look for it at
the mailing list archives at http://www-freebsd.org/mail/

Freundliche Grüße aus Waiblingen

Christoph Sold
--
Systemadministrator, i-clue GmbH, Endersbacher Str. 57, 71334 Waiblingen
Fon: (0 71 51) 9 59 01-12, Fax: (0 71 51) 9 59 01-55, Mail: so@i-clue.de