Date:      Thu, 7 Aug 1997 17:42:38 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        ada@not-enough.bandwidth.org (Ada T Lim)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: large minor numbers

Ada T Lim writes:
> On the topic of minor numbers for certain devices, it was mentioned that
> there was no 8-bit limit upon these.  Has it occurred to anyone to fix
> tar to understand these?  If I do a tar of /dev, it'll give me a bunch of
> errors saying 'minor number too large'.

The trouble is, tar is a portable format, and it's one of its greatest
advantages.  If you "fix" it for large minor numbers, you'll break it
for exchange to anything else.

I think pax might understand this sort of thing.  That would be the
program to "fix", anyway, since it supports multiple formats anyway.

Greg