Date:      Mon, 30 Jun 1997 13:48:50 -0400
From:      Chet Ramey <chet@odin.INS.CWRU.Edu>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, chet@odin.INS.CWRU.Edu
Subject:   Re: use of readline()

> > Go read the copyright that is actually attached to libreadline.
>
> Right you are, unfortunately - I went looking for it in
> the wrong place and assumed the LGPL when I couldn't find
> a COPYING file.
>
> This is unusual, of course, since the FSF switched to the LGPL for
> just about every other GNU lib I can find and I can only assume that
> either the author was feeling particularly restrictive or, in fact,
> nobody ever bothered to update the copyright. :)

I was neither feeling restrictive nor inattentive.  The last time I
asked the FSF people, they requested that I continue to release readline
under the GPL.

(Sorry if I sound short; I'm trying to dig out from the mail accumulated
during a (refreshingly) long trip to Europe.)

Chet Ramey, Case Western Reserve University	Internet: chet@po.CWRU.Edu