Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 21:48:47 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Jan Knepper <jan@smartsoft.cc>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: E-Mail collector on the freebsd.org majordomo lists.

In the last episode (Oct 16), Jan Knepper said:
> Something just struck me a minute ago as I received spam on an e-mail
> address I only used once to post a message on one of the freebsd
> majordomo mailing lists. My impression is that some
> e-mail-addresses-cd-rom-creating-company is subscribed to one or all
> of the list and collects e-mail addresses of people posting to the
> lost that way. Is there any easy way to get around this? I think I
> noticed that egroups.com strips part of the e-mail address so it
> becomes unusable.

Only on the webpages.  Egroups subscribers always see unmangled emails.

> Currently I report any span at http://www.spamcop.net/ but I am
> pretty mich getting tired of receiving spam at all.
>
> Some one have any brilliant idea's????

Create a new userid for each list (a simple user+<random number> would
suffice) and block any incoming mail that doesn't CC: the correct list
or isn't a reply to a list email?  Trying to keep track of recent list
traffic could get a bit complicated, but it'd pretty much filter out
all spam.

At minimum, configure sendmail to use the RBL.  RBL, DUL, and RSS are
pretty conservative (i.e. if you get mail from a site on one of these
lists, it's almost always spam), but I also like orbs.  You could also
block emails from machines with no reverse DNS or reverse that doesn't
match forward DNS:

 FEATURE(dnsbl)dnl
 FEATURE(dnsbl,`dialups.mail-abuse.org',`Mail from dial-up $&{client_addr} rejected; see http://mail-abuse.org/dul/enduser.htm')dnl
 FEATURE(dnsbl,`relays.mail-abuse.org',`Abused email relay $&{client_addr} rejected; see http://mail-abuse.org/rss/')dnl