Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 1995 08:30:00 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        bsd@ee.petra.ac.id (FreeBSD)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: elm problem :)

As FreeBSD wrote:

> What's wrong with my elm compiled under FreeBSD :
>
> * it cant read mailbox :
>
>     Waiting to read mailbox while mail is being recieved: attempt #?

Configure elm to only use either flock or fcntl-style locking.

Lockfile-based locking is only good when sharing a mail spool via NFS
(since FreeBSD currently doesn't support NFS locking), but it requires
elm to run setgid, and to change the group permissions of the mail
spool directory.

Unfortunately, elm itself suggests that using all three methods would
be safer (which it isn't).

--
cheers, J"org