Date:      10 Aug 2002 16:57:41 +0200
From:      Wouter Van Hemel <wouter@pair.com>
To:        Colin Percival <Colin_Percival@sfu.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: release variability

On Sat, 2002-08-10 at 15:13, Colin Percival wrote:
> [...]
>    This raises two questions:
> 1. Is there any way I can set up my system to consistently build the same
> world?  The user and host are of course easy to fix; I'd consider running a
> daemon to reset my clock every second in order to keep the time stamps
> consistent, except that I don't think it would work, and I worry that it
> might break `make` anyway.

I think what you're trying to do here is impossible. Every condition would
have to be the same as on the initial build machine, and even then, your
time will not always match. Whatever you're trying to do, it seems like
the wrong solution to me...

> 2. Is this really a desireable state of affairs at all?  As it is, it is
> practically impossible for someone to `make release` on their own and
> compare their version to the official version to ensure that the build was
> correct.  Reproducibility and verifiability are rather important matters
> when it comes to security.

There are better ways to check the integrity of the code. The most simple
way I can think of, is if you e.g. install from a cd, check the md5sum.
(Maybe a md5sum/pgp key could be distributed with the announcement
itself?) If your code is clean, so will be your compiled software. Except
when you have something (somebody?) in resident memory that screws it
after installation, but this is unlikely if you just reinstalled the whole
machine, and there's nothing you can do about that either way.

If you sync from source and want to build a full release when one is made
instead of downloading an iso (which is a pretty reasonable and common
thing to do, I think), you have AFAIK no way to check if the source has
not been tampered with.

It might be better to download the release source packages then, those
contain md5sums:

  ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.6-RELEASE/src/

,,, but this seems like something you don't want to do?

  wouter