Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 1999 16:53:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@freebsd.org>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, committers@freebsd.org, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/make.conf abuse

On Sat, 9 Oct 1999, Nik Clayton wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 08, 1999 at 09:29:47PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > > IMO: Neither.  It should be located in src, whereever you check that
> > > out, so you can do several different builds with different
> > > configurations.  It would be nice if it was possible to specify the
> > > name of the file on the build command line, so you could do several
> > > differently configured builds from the same source tree.  I don't
> > > think this would be too difficult.
> >
> > I agree with Eivind; seeing as our make has a nice way to include files
> > (such as a /usr/src/make.local)
>
> One snag with that.  Sometimes a remedy for fixing a build problem is
>
>     # rm -rf /usr/src
>
> and start again.  I know that's probably ingrained in a lot of people's
> fingers, and they treat /usr/src as an expendable file system.  Suddenly
> we'll be putting a config file there.
>
> Perhaps /usr/local/etc/make.conf would be better?  Or at least a variable
> (which can be defined in /etc/make.conf) which points to the file, so that
> the admin can easily set local policy.

Where do you stick your kernel config files?  I have mine in sys/i386/conf
(for my i386 machine), I back it up regularly, and always remember not to
scrag it.  Until we get a working union filesystem (what a day!) I think I
don't want to have a spot outside the tree to worry about.

I think we can't allow a /usr/local, for the reason that everyone does not
have a /usr/local (I know for a fact that /opt/local is used by many).
The ports system uses $(PREFIX), I guess you could use that, but I'd
rather have it in the tree.

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)