Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 1997 20:27:18 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Stephen Milley <smilley@waterw.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD

Stephen Milley writes:
 > What can show me how to code Makefiles(CCFLAGS = blah, etc.) and
 > such?

This is tough.  If you've installed GNU make, it comes with a fairly
complete manual with some small examples.  Try 'info make' from the
command line, or go into info mode in Emacs and search for make.

The "standard" make that comes with FreeBSD is described in
/usr/share/doc/psd/12.make/paper.ascii.gz; you can read it with the
zmore command.  Or, you could gunzip it and print it if you wish.

Another resource is the book "Managing Projects with Make" from O'Reilly
and Associates.  This is a good book that explains not only how to
create makefiles to build programs, but how to build makefiles that
completely maintain a project, including documentation, archiving, etc.
For more information see:

	http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/make2/noframes.html

 > Also, where can I find about the different Internet utilities that
 > show me statistics about my connection and stuff that shows me what
 > is happening with the connection(what's downloading, what's being
 > sent, like a bird's eye of what's going on with my modem, etc.). I
 > also am wondering why some people on IRC think ppp say it is a
 > child's program. I do know about pppd, but just haven't used it
 > yet. :)

See the man pages for netstat.  A book you might find helpful is "TCP/IP
Network Administration, 2 ed" from O'Reilly and Associates.  See:

	http://www.ora.com/catalog/tcp2/noframes.html

 > Although, I am growing alot more in FreeBSD than in Linux, which I am
 > proud to say, because the coding must have been well grounded :)
 > . I'll appreciate any responses to my questions. :)

I hope these were helpful ones.  Sometimes the most important part of
learning UNIX is to build a really good library; I still refer to
"TCP/IP Network Administration" occasionally and I've been doing this
for over 8 years now.  ;^)

 > P.S. Btw, is there a non X-Windows www client that supports ActiveX and all
 > those Microsoft and Netscape extension, because I don't want to install X
 > just for Netscape.

No WWW client that runs on FreeBSD supports ActiveX.  ActiveX is a
marketing term for "more Microsoft crap."

There is a simple character web browser called Lynx available, but it
does not support any graphics at all.  I believe it does support HTML
forms after a fashion.