Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2002 13:06:42 +1000
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        production@itga.com.au
Subject:   tbz/tgz packages balls-up

We run a central build host that builds world/kernel and uses portupgrade to
build packages that we then export to all the other hosts (using NFS for
installkernel/installworld and portupgrade/ftp for the packages).

Sometime in the last month, the Ports makefiles were changes so that the build
host now builds all the packages as .tbz files.

But none of the package tools on -Stable (cvsup'd and installed as of
yesterday) can understand these new packages.

If I run "pkg_add -r <pkg>" I get an error message like this:
	hellcat## pkg_add -r portupgrade
Error: FTP Unable to get ftp://grollo/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable/Latest/portupgrade.tgz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
pkg_add: unable to fetch `ftp://grollo/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable/Latest/portupgrade.tgz' by URL

(Note it is looking for a tgz file not a tbz file).

So If I specify the URL with the .tbz  directly, I get this:

hellcat## pkg_add ftp://grollo/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable/Latest/portupgrade.tbz
Fetching ftp://grollo/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable/Latest/portupgrade.tbz...
gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child died with signal 13
Broken pipe

Similar failures occur with portupgrade.

This is a complete cockup.  Will someone explain what I have to do to get the
fsking package system working again?  Who on _earth_ thought they could update
the package format without updating any of the tools that deal with
packages????

No comments in UPDATING, no warning, no HEADS-UP, no nothing.  Just busted
package system.  And searching the maillist is futile given the chronic
unreliability of the archiver/searcher.

I'm pretty pissed off about this....