Date:      Sun, 15 Jun 1997 19:40:41 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
To:        gerard@dimensional.com (Gerard Giamberdine)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't find kernel after partition changes - part II

> > > Now at the boot prompt it says it can't find the kernel.
> >
> > Copy your first partition entry to slot 3 and mark slot 1 as unused.
> > FreeBSD boots from the 'a' virtual partition in the *first* FreeBSD
> > slice.
> >

> Okay, it can find the kernel again. Have another problem though - right
> after the fsck's in rc (mount -u -o rw /) it stops with:
>
>   /dev/wd0s2a on /: Specified device does not match mounted device.
>   Filesystem mount failed, startup aborted.
>
> Mount shows that 'root_device' is mounted on / as read-only. I think I
> understand what's going on here, but am not sure how to fix it - /dev
> reconfig, something in /etc? Thanks again for your help!

You'll have to edit the /etc/fstab entries to reflect the changes
you did with fdisk.

To do so, you have to boot in single user mode. (Enter -s at the
boot prompt) If you are asked to enter the shell enter the shell.
Edit /etc/fstab. If your editor is not available because it is  on
the /usr partition do a

mount /dev/wd0s3a /usr
               |^letter of your /usr partition.
               ^ slice number, depends on which slice your /usr partition
	         lives.

The error message is confusing to me. You did not change the root
slice, right? It was an wd0s2a before and after your changes. So
it should mount correctly in the first place!  If editing the slice
numbers in /etc/fstab does not help, try using *no* slice number
for the partitions on the first FreeBSD slice, i. e. use wd0a
instead of wd0s2a. No slice means `first FreeBSD slice'.

Wolfgang