Date:      Mon, 05 Mar 2001 12:30:01 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Subject:   Re: Name server config and nslookup

"Koster, K.J." wrote:
> My ISP gives me name server IPs through DHCP. This works just fine and I can
> use dig(1) to query the name server I get the expected results.
>
> However, when I start nslookup, the following happens:
>
> % nslookup
> *** Can't find server name for address 10.128.1.7: Non-existent host/domain
> *** Can't find server name for address 10.128.1.39: Non-existent host/domain
> *** Default servers are not available
> %
>
> I think that my ISP has made a configuration error in their reverse lookup,
> but they claim that I made a mistake.

If it works with dig & other programs but not with nslookup, it's
doubful that the problem is with your ISP. It's more likely that it's
nslookup.
Can you ping hosts by name, and reach sites with a web browser, etc? If
so, it would seem like DNS is working but nslookup is flaky for some
reason.

-Bill