Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 10:33:24 +0200
From:      Lars Koeller <Lars_Koeller@odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de>
To:        taob@io.org, freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Filtering rules in syslog.conf

   Hi!

>     I have a fairly simple requirement that I can't seem to get
> working with syslogd/syslog.conf.  I would like all messages generated
> by a particular program to go to a particular file, and nowhere else.
> Is that possible?
>
>     For example, this line will accomplish the first half of what I
> want:
>
> !telnetd
> *.*                                     /var/log/telnetd.log
>
>     The only problem is that the telnetd messages go to *both*
> /var/log/messages as well as /var/log/telnetd.log.  How do I tell
> syslogd not to send to both?  I know you can disable certain
> facilities with the "none" level, but that affects all messages, not
> just those coming from a particular program.

      I've had a similar problem some weeks  ago, and the only solution was
   a modification of the source  code. I wanted  to use xntpd with a DCF-77
   time code receiver, which had a lot of receiving  errors during the day,
   each producing a log message. I changed the line

	openlog(cp, LOG_PID | LOG_NDELAY, LOG_NTP);

	openlog(cp, LOG_PID | LOG_NDELAY, LOG_LOCAL0);

   and made the following line in /etc/syslog.conf

*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit;local0.none	/dev/console
*.err;local0.none					root
*.notice;auth.debug;local0.none				root
*.alert;local0.none					root
*.emerg;local0.none					*
!xntpd
*.*							/var/log/xntpd

   and it works well. If you get another solution please let ne know!

   Regards

   Lars
Lars Köller                  Phone:  +49 381/498-1665, Fax: -1667
University of Rostock        E-Mail:
Department of Physics          Lars_Koeller@odie.physik2.Uni-Rostock.DE
Universitätsplatz 3          Anonymous ftp:
D-18051 Rostock (Germany)      ftp://odie.physik2.uni-rostock.de/pub