Date:      Sat, 19 May 2001 08:10:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "T. William Wells" <bill@twwells.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/27429: 'dependant' is a misspelling

The following reply was made to PR kern/27429; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "T. William Wells" <bill@twwells.com>
To: bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 10:58:23 -0400 (EDT)

 > The above URL says that this form is archaic.  The Oxford English
 > Dictionary (a 20+ volume 1972 edition on dead trees) gives more details.
 > This form started being archaic about 1800...

 It says that the first meaning for this form is archaic. The
 other, as in "these are my dependants" is still correct, even if
 not the most common spelling.

 > >  3) Some of the examples were for "independant", which rather
 > >     definitely is not a word.
 >
 > Similarly for "consistant", "existant", "inadvertant",  "persistant",
 > etc.  There were only 37 lines with these in the whole src tree on
 > 1996/10/25 according to some saved grep output from that date.

 Bletch. Oh well...I wouldn't worry too much about any of them,
 unless they show up in program output. Still, it'd be nice to fix
 them.

 Spelling wars on bugs@freebsd.org? :)