Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 19:10:56 -0500
From:      Mark Hendriks <markh@lon.imag.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie help with installing FreeBSD

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Monica Natrajan wrote:
> Hi
> I am trying to install FreeBSD on a separate partition on a Celeron
> machine(with win 98 on the other partition).
> I do not have a CD ROM  and was planning to do it after downloading the
> software off the web.
> However, the installation instructions that are given are a little
> confusing. I have tried to download from  ftp://ftp.ca.freebsd.org
> but I get only directories containing the src code- are there any binaries
> which can be downloaded?

It sounds like you were trying to install without using the boot floppies.
You can't just download a bunch of files and expect to have a running
operating system - at the very minimum, the operating system needs to be
configured to your hardware.  FreeBSD has an install program.  If you are
going to install from FTP, you will need to make the boot floppies, which
also contain the install program.  On the FreeBSD homepage, click on
"Obtaining FreeBSD."  You will see instructions for downloading FreeBSD
off of the Internet, including how to make the boot floppies.

 /   ghIj qet jaghmeyjaj                   \
/    jaghmeylI' DaghIjjaj qetjaj jaghmeylI' \
\    - "May your enemies run with fear"     /
 \   "The Klingon Way" Mark Okrand, 1996   /