Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 2002 11:55:17 +0930
From:      Mike Gratton <mike@vee.net>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   NFS timing out over wi0 interface using UDP?

Guys,

Doing a installkernel is freezing on me via NFS from a FBSD -STABLE
server using an Orinoco PCI/PCMCIA bridge and Compaq (rebadged
Lucent/Orinoco) WaveLAN/IEEE 802.11 card. The 4.5-RELEASE client I am
trying to upgrade is using a physical ethernet interface. Both are
running standard GENERIC kernels.

The mount options used are:
...  /usr/src nfs ro,intr,br  ...
...  /usr/obj nfs rw,intr,bg  ...

Reproduceable every time, from an earlier version of 4.x (4.1, 4.2 or
possibly 4.3) right through to -STABLE updated a week or so ago, make
installkernel freezes when intstalling the vinum module. No console
messages on either host show any sign of a problem untill after a few
minutes, the client reports:

nfs server [host]:/usr/obj: not responding

ctrl-C'ing the installkernel will stop the frozen process and you can
unmount /usr/obj, remount it, and try again. It will freeze in the same
place again and again.

Now, this isn't too much of a problem for me, because mounting the
directories using TCP works fine, so this is more of a heads up and for
the benefit of people running into this problem in the future.

If anyone knows of any reason why it may be failing, or wants any
debugging data, please let me know, otherwise I'll just file a PR.

Mike.

--
Mike Gratton <mike@vee.net>, <http://web.vee.net/>;
"Every motive escalate."