Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 04:14:36 +0200
From:      "Simon 'corecode' Schubert" <corecode@corecode.ath.cx>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        DougB@FreeBSD.ORG, des@ofug.org, dan@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Package system flaws?

--=.cd(khredbSGs6:

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 18:13:23 -0700 Wes Peters wrote:

> I'm coming around to your viewpoint.  We can write the metadata to have
> external references to binary filesets, and even to the source, patches,
> and Makefiles that make up the "port."  Filesets can be signed so we can
> verify they are the correct contents and weren't tampered with in
> transmission.
>
> This would allow us to update the metadata files in the same way ports
> are updated now, using CVSup, keeping the packages system up to date.

and while we're at it, change the ports system to use something like
that so that my (our) inodes are not all being eaten by /usr/ports ;]

this would actually be a good thing [tm] to marry both systems. one
metadata tree for both ports (source, customized build) and packages
(binary). just ``echo USE_PACKAGES=YES >> /etc/make.conf'' or whatever.

cheers
  simon

--
/"\   http://corecode.ath.cx/#donate