Date:      Sat, 11 Jun 2011 14:29:35 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Query about FreeBSD and primary partitions requirements

--------------enigC18FC2FC2F1CCCD3E4B6A499

On 11/06/2011 08:18, Bret Busby wrote:
> Some time ago, I asked on this list, about installing FreeBSD, and it
> was then confirmed that FreeBSD requires to be installed in a primary
> partition.
>=20
> That is consistent with the current FreeBSD Handbook, which states
> "FreeBSD must be installed into a primary partition."
>=20
> However, in the last couple of days, I have been advised that FreeBSD
> can be installed in, and, quite happily runs in, a logical partition
> within an extended partition.
>=20
> Has anyone other than the person who advised me of that, tested the
> installation and operation of FreeBSD, within a logical patition of an
> extended partition, that has given a result that confirms that FeeBSD
> can now be successfully installed and run, in a logical partition of an=

> extended partition of a hard drive?

FreeBSD can mount and use filesystems created on partitions inside
'extended partition' type slices (cue standard exposition of the
difference between partitions and slices in FreeBSD-speak.)  True.

However, I believe that you may well have difficulty *booting* FreeBSD
unless the kernel (ie. /boot) can be read from a primary partition.
Also, I don't think sysinstall(8) groks extended partitions very well,
so you will probably have some fun doing the actual installation.
Certainly not impossible, but not something you should contemplate if
you still consider yourself just a beginner.

Of course, this discussion only applies to DOS MBR style partitioning,
which is fairly rapidly going the way of the Dodo (at least in the
FreeBSD world.)  Unless you need the backwards compatibility, GPT looks
like a much more attractive proposition for a new machine nowadays.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3