Date:      Wed, 04 Oct 2000 14:27:28 -0400
From:      James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make installworld over NFS: supported?

Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:

> Hello,
> I've been wondering if installworld over NFS is supported or not. Sometimes
> it works, sometimes it doesn't (which is the case at the moment). I'd
> really like this feature to have my servers upgraded easily as soon as an
> important update gets released without needing to do cvsup/make
> buildworld on each of the machines (what needs more CPU time/bandwith than
> really needed for the task)... Any other approaches to solve this
> problem are welcome as well, for sure.

I haven't had problems since the 2.2.x days with this.  I currently have
4 active machines, 3 of them do installworld via nfs.

cat: server
make -j16 buildworld
make installworld

baby: workstation
mount cat:/usr/src /usr/src
mount cat:/usr/obj /usr/obj
cd /usr/src ; make installworld

egg: workstation
mount cat:/usr/src /usr/src
mount cat:/usr/obj /usr/obj
cd /usr/src ; make installworld

etc.....

Jim
--
Progress (n) : What led from smart users in front of dumb terminals to
dumb users in front of smart terminals.