Date:      Wed, 28 Dec 2011 10:46:54 +0100
From:      Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: stuck /etc/rc autoboot processes

On 12/27/11 10:22 PM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 07:46:52PM +0100, Damien Fleuriot wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> Yesterday and today, I've been busy either patching boxes for the BIND
>> advisory that we received on the 23rd (when they were running 8.1 or
>> 8.2-RELEASE), or upgrading them (when running 8.0-RELEASE).
>>

>> Today I've come across 2 boxes running 8.2-STABLE and of course, the
>> BIND patch wouldn't apply correctly.
>>
>> I've decided to cvsup them to 8.2-RELEASE and "upgrade" them to it.
>
> Why cvsup and not csup?

You're correct, and I indeed used csup from the base system.

> Secondly, and more importantly, when upgrading to a different tag (e.g.
> you were using RELENG_8_0 before, moving to RELENG_8 or RELENG_8_2 --
> you don't really explain in a coherent way what you did, you've
> mentioned 4 different FreeBSD versions above :-) ), I tend to do the
> following:

Indded I've mentionned quite a few versions, because I had to patch
and/or upgrade many of them over the last few days.

They all went well, because most machines either didn't need upgrading
(only BIND's patch), or were running 8.2-PRERELEASE or 8.0-RELEASE so I
could upgrade them just fine.

/usr/src/UPDATING didn't yield any warning so I went ahead.

The "upgrade" that troubles me with these stuck processes is 8.2-STABLE
down to 8.2-RELEASE-p5.

For this as well, I have not seen anything in UPDATING.

> rm -fr /usr/obj/*
> rm -fr /var/db/sup/src-all
> rm -fr /usr/src/*
> csup ...

That's a goood idea, I'll note that down.

Are you sure about removing /usr/src/* ?

I usually cd there and make update, without the Makefile it's gonna be
tricky.

> The problem I've seen is that "some" source bits manage to figure out
> that they need to be updated to a different version based on the release
> tag in the cvsup/csup configuration file, but sometimes this doesn't
> work quite right and the underlying source files in /usr/src end up
> getting "mix-matched" between two versions.
>
> You may want to do this for ports as well, e.g.:
>
> rm -fr /var/db/sup/ports-all
> rm -fr /usr/ports/*
> csup ...
>
> It gets more tricky assuming during your original FreeBSD installation
> you chose to install src and ports.  The below is the cvsup FAQ, but it
> applies to csup too.  Read items 11, 12, and 13.
>
> http://www.cvsup.org/faq.html#caniadopt

These boxes date back 1.5 year now and I don't remember how I installed
them.

I think it was sysinstall so yeah, sources + ports at the time.

> Welcome to why I never bother to install src or ports from CD/DVD, I
> simply use csup once the system is up.  And for changing tags/releases,
> I do what's described above.
>
>> I've gone through the following steps:
>> - make buildworld
>> - make buildkernel
>> - make installkernel
>> - nextboot -k my new kernel, to ensure it worked fine
>> - rebooted again with the new kernel, this time correctly installed as
>> /boot/kernel
>> - installed the world
>> - run mergemaster -FiPU
>> - rebuild ports
>
> This doesn't look correct.  The process you should be following is
> documented plainly in /usr/src/Makefile.  You're missing some steps.
>
> Try doing what I recommended above, and following what's in
> /usr/src/Makefile, and then see if things improve.

I'm reading through it now, the only steps I haven't run seem to be
delete-old and delete-old-libs.

I'll try that removing all /usr/src/ , /usr/obj/ , csuping again and
redoing the steps including the removals.