Date:      Fri, 05 Dec 2008 07:34:21 -0500
From:      "Brian A. Seklecki" <bseklecki@collaborativefusion.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, eugen@kuzbass.ru, Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>, Marian Hettwer <mh@kernel32.de>
Subject:   Re: lagg(4) and failover

--=-7zVPQTw3Vkq94LWlaKHr

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 22:03 +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> >Thats unfortunate...
>=20
> I tend to agree.
>=20
> >bonding in Linux is capable of doing this and solaris too.
>=20

Well ... name a price for the development; HA L1/L2 is a feature the
community would gladly sponsor the development of.

Also, Peter, you should put a page up on the FreeBSD wiki with some of
those multi-catalyst LACP IOS config examples. =20

Maybe write an article for BSDMag.

I always just counted that idea out (LACP against two switches) since
LACP doesn't have any inter-component transport protocol a la pfsync(4).

But if the backplanes of Cat 37xx`s can be merged at a lower level, then
then yea, fuck.  Lets have it.

~BAS=20

P.S., in my experience, system level redundancy/HA with a load balancer
is almost always less expensive then excessive component-level
redundancy/ha (RAID Disk, RAID RAM, Dual Power Supplies, Dual
Backplanes...)

> It shouldn't be too difficult to create something that behaves
> functionally similarly to Slowaris ipmpd (and with marginally more
> effort, you could create something that could be configured to behave
> sensibly).
--=20
Brian A. Seklecki <bseklecki@collaborativefusion.com>
Collaborative Fusion, Inc.