Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 13:56:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Ian <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
Cc:        Dragon Fire <dragonfire820@mediaone.net>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Emergency Help Needed

:> Hi Folks,
:>
:> I have an emergency and I need some quick help.
:>
:> I just ran boot0cfg to install boot0 as my boot code instead of the standard
:> mbr. This is on a dedicated FreeBSD system. Now the system boots and gives
:> me a choice F4 FreeBSD or F5 Disk 1 both selections hang. I had numerous
:> problems getting 4.4 to boot from the hard disk in the first place because
:> of BIOS disk settings.
:
:I've had a lot of trouble with the mbr since FreeBSD 4.0.  The trouble I
:usually run into is when I stick a new scsi drive into a system which is
:unformatted or has who-knows-what on it (like it was formerly in a Mac).
:The adaptec card adds it as "bios drive 1" and then the mbr on drive 0
:detects it and gives me choices of F1 or F5, the latter being the new drive.
:Even if I hit F1 or let it choose that by default, the btx loader crashes.
:If I reboot and use the adaptec bios settings to exclude the new drive from
:the bios drive set, then I can boot off the existing drive and properly
:fdisk and disklabel the new drive so it can be added back to the bios list
:for the next reboot.

    I had exactly the same problem... stick in new SCSI disk, btx loader
    fault.  But for me it turned out to be the fact that I originally
    formatted the disks with a dangerously-dedicated partition.  When I
    reformatted with a normal slice entry things started working again.

    If adding a SCSI disk causes the fault but the machine works fine
    with just the first SCSI disk, boot with just the first SCSI disk
    then plug in the second one *after* the machine has finished booting,
    do a 'camcontrol recsan ...' as appropriate, and format your new disk.

    If the original SCSI disk is causing the fault it could be because the
    original drive was formatted in dangerously-dedicated mode rather then
    with a real slice.  You may have to unplug the disk and then boot the
    machine from the FreeBSD CDRom, then plug the disk back in, do the
    camcontrol trick, and mount/backup/reformat/restore the disk.  Fun.

						-Matt