Date:      Sun, 6 Feb 2005 22:25:20 +0000
From:      Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: postgres 8 init script problem?

* Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net> [0237 21:37]:
> Anyone else having problems starting postgres 8.0.1 (from ports)
> on RELENG_5?
>
> It seems to start alright, but clankily:
>
> root$ /usr/local/etc/rc.d/010.pgsql.sh start
> <hang for about a minute>
> could not start postmaster
> root$ /usr/local/etc/rc.d/010.pgsql.sh status
> pg_ctl: postmaster is running (PID: 54846)
> /usr/local/bin/postgres -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

Ah, found it. I had PGHOST set in roots environment
(after 'su'ing rather than 'su -'ing).

unset PG_HOST

gets it running in no time.

(Looks like a bug in 010.pgsql.sh, though. roots environment
shouldn't get picked up, surely?)

--
'A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction
into a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.'