Date:      Sat, 1 Mar 2003 23:35:08 +0000
From:      Mustafa Arif <ma499@doc.ic.ac.uk>
To:        tobez@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, webmaster@cgcu.net, Sam Sharpe <casa@imperial.ac.uk>, Etienne J H Pollard <etienne.pollard@imperial.ac.uk>
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: perl5.8-5.8.0

Hi,
Sorry to bother you but I've had no response to my posts on relevant
newsgroups.

I am using the Perl5.8 port on my FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE system and am
very happy with it.

Just one niggle... when I install (or upgrade) a port that relies on
Perl5 (i.e. the Perl 5.6 port) they correctly probe the dependency due
to these lines in /etc/make.conf:

> PERL_VER=       5.8.0
> PERL_VERSION=   5.8.0
> PERL_ARCH=mach
> NOPERL=yo
> NO_PERL=yo
> NO_PERL_WRAPPER=yo

So, ports that depend on Perl5 install without trying to install perl
5.6.

BUT the dependencies of such newly installed ports in the FreeBSD
package db is set to the lang/perl5 port. So, I have to use pkgdb -F
every time to correct it.

Is there a way around this so that the dependency is recorded to the
lang/perl58 port? Alternatively, is it likely that Perl 5.8 will become
the default Perl 5 port anytime soon? (A couple of my scripts don't
work when mod_perl is built against Perl 5.6)

Thanks
--
Mustafa Arif
Engineering student (ISE 4)