Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 13:04:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com (Tim Kellers)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, kellers@njit.edu
Subject:   Re: NFS/NIS... arg!

> I've got courses to teach FreeBSD in FreeBSD coming up Real Soon Now.
> I've set up our instructional lab to use NIS/NFS from a master server so
> that all the student UID's are authenticated from the same server and have
> their home directories mounted on the same, central, server.
>
> ... cut
>
> Are there any alternatives to the NIS/NFS combo in FreeBSD land?  I've
> heard from some of the SUN admins in the University that AFS is far
> superior to NFS in handling remote home directoried and that it's
> "tolerable" in loading remote desktops (KDE --yes I know it's an I/O
> resource hog-- in particular).

AFS is far superior.  We use it here at MSU  with about 350,000 accounts
of which about 150,000 are actively being used.  But so far it appears that
the OPENAFS species of it is still somewhat immature yet and take a bunch
of tinkering to get it how you want it.  Our department is currently working
on moving to OpenAFS from IBM owned (I hesitate to use the word "supported")
AFS.  Although I am not working on that conversion project directly, I hear
the noise over the cubicle wall.

So, if you can handle the initial work of getting AFS going on FreeBSD, you
will be happy.

////jerry