Date:      Mon, 1 Dec 1997 12:27:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>
To:        Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: annoying spammers...

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Stephen Roome wrote:

> Why not send an automated reply to all the people who sent you the mail
> asking them also to complain to whoever it is who is sending the junk
> mails in the first place, or if you can't find out who is originally
> sending them get yourself (some account you don't care about!) on the
> mailing list, so at least you can see the headers.
>
> I would hope that someone out there who is responsible for this junk mail
> is reasonable enough to fake mail from some nonexistant address,
> especially if you ask them nicely.
>
> If not, and if they refuse your quite reasonable request to stop spamming
> with your email address you can take it up legally with their service
> provider as they are fraudulently pretending to be you (especially if you
> set up an account which accepts all mail to <randomnumber>@html.com).
>
> You've got a case of someone pretending to be you, I'd hope that US law
> doesn't like that, and you can probably put someone either out of business
> or in some fairly deep water. SPAM is one thing, 'framing' (!) someone is
> another bucket of 'something-horrible' altogether.
>
> If their service provider doesn't want to know, how about the US courts, I
> don'y know about you, but if someone started spamming in my name (or on my
> behalf ?) I'd make damn sure they were sorry, even if it did include
> hiring some laywers.
>
> 	Steve.
>
> Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
> Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342
> WWW: http://dylan.visint.co.uk/

The headers all point to a class a that doesn't route.  I think our domain
was put into some piece of spamware.  They all pass through a relay
server, and all have forged headers.  I don't think the morons who send
spam have the knowledge for this.

Jamie Bowden
Systems Administrator, iTRiBE.net

If we've got to fight over grep, sign me up.  But boggle can go.

	-Ted Faber (on Hasbro's request for removal of /usr/games/boggle)