Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 10:26:11 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, FreeBSD hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: root only: (was Re: comments on this change please.)

On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, Gary Palmer wrote:

> Now do you see why it shouldn't be moved Terry? It may be the
> `architecturally pure and clean' (or however you spell that word)
> thing to do, but we also have to operate on the principle of least
> surprise here ... people aren't going to expect /etc to suddenly
> become /var/conf or something. I know I, for one, object to it being
> moved ... it's become ingrained into my head to look in /etc or
> /usr/local/etc, and I've only been working with unix for 5 years or
> so. I'd feel real sorry for people who have been working with unix for
> longer.

I guess it's controversial, but BSDI puts a lot of big things like www,
news, and named into /var.

For example innd, lives in /var/news (there's a symlink in
/var/spool/news) and the news specific variable local config files are in
/var/news/etc.  The config things that are pretty static with the innd
distribution go in /usr/local/lib/news somewhere or was that /usr/contrib.
Anyway, I hated /usr/contrib for these things so I moved them to
/usr/local.

WWW is put into /var/www and it's configurable stuff is in /var/www/conf.

At first I thought this was wierd, but I've gotten used to it.  Actually,
I like it now because most of what I need to know about www can be found
in one place.  I do this now for FreeBSD so I reserve a whole lot more
space in /var than in /usr/local than I used to.

One thing I do like about FreeBSD is /usr/local/etc/rc.d, this is pretty
cool.  I like because it separates local startup scripts from the standard
system stuff and is far easier to manage than the monolithic rc.local.

Regards,

Mike Hancock