Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 03:43:10 -0500
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>
To:        Mike <mike@adept.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   linux emulation crashes  (was: Re: Softupdates disappears?)

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 03:06:31PM -0700, Mike wrote:

> I installed 4.0 release from CD and enabled linux emulation.  No
> problem.  I then cvsup'd to stable, enabled softupdates and got panics on
> reboot.  I turn linux emulation off, panics go away.  I don't even need
> linux emulation...  Just wondering if this is a known problem, or
> something I'm managing to fubar (searching list archives didn't turn
> anything up, sorry if this has been addressed).
>
> If it is a real problem, I can provide more details.

I had the same problem with 5.0-current yesterday on one of my machines.
My machine didn't panic, but when/etc/rc loaded the linux emulator,
the machine halted itself.  E.g. I got the "waiting for process..." and
the "uptime" message and then the machine halted.  I didn't have time
to figure out what was going on at the time, so I just disabled the
emulator in rc.conf.

Funny thing is, the linux emulator works fine on my other machine, and
it is running from the same source set as the machine with the problem.
They do run slightly different kernels, however.

I've got some free time tonight.  I'll go play around with it and see
if I can track it down some more.

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard