Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 17:05:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        kris@FreeBSD.org (Kris Kennaway)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ssh to freefall broken

Kris Kennaway writes:
> >   $ ssh archie@freefall.freebsd.org
> >   Warning: Server lies about size of server host key: actual size is 1023 bits vs. announced 1024.
> >   Warning: This may be due to an old implementation of ssh.
> >   Warning: identity keysize mismatch: actual 1023, announced 1024
> >   Agent admitted failure to authenticate using the key.
> >   Authentication agent failed to decrypt challenge.
> >   Enter passphrase for RSA key 'archie@bubba.whistle.com':
>
> How long had it been since you updated? OpenSSH changed some defaults a
> while back, including defaulting to not do agent forwarding, I
> think. Check the config files and add it back if necessary.

Hmm.. I set "ForwardAgent yes" in /etc/ssh/ssh_config but that
didn't help.. from this verbose output it looks like the line
saying "Agent admitted failure to authenticate using the key"
is the root of the problem..

  Warning: identity keysize mismatch: actual 1023, announced 1024
  debug: Trying RSA authentication via agent with 'archie@bubba.whistle.com'
  debug: Received RSA challenge from server.
  Agent admitted failure to authenticate using the key.
  Authentication agent failed to decrypt challenge.
  debug: Sending response to RSA challenge.
  debug: Remote: Wrong response to RSA authentication challenge.
  debug: RSA authentication using agent refused.

Maybe there's a problem with ssh-agent?

FYI- here's what I'm doing

  1. On machine A (3.4-REL): "ssh-agent tcsh"
  2. On machine A (3.4-REL): "ssh-add" then enter passcode
  3. On machine A (3.4-REL): "ssh <machine B>"
  4. On machine B (5.0-current): enter password on machine B
  5. On machine B (5.0-current): "ssh archie@freefall.freebsd.org"

If I leave out steps #3 and #4 then it works fine as before.

-Archie