Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 16:14:47 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Nils Holland <nils@nightcastleproductions.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Letting normal users halt the system

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Nils Holland wrote:

> Normally, only root can halt and reboot a machine using commands like
> shutdown, halt and reboot. This is surely clever. But what can be done if
> I explictly want normal users be able to reboot/halt the system? One
> possibility that comes to my mind is to compile the kernel so that
> CTRL+ALT+DEL is interpreted as system-reboot ( I generally
> disable this, but if it's turned on, users could press these keys and
> after the system is halted and the reboot-process starts they could turn
> it of). Now I'm wondering if there's some place in which I can set the
> system up so that also the halt, reboot and shutdown commands work for
> normal users. While this surely shouldn't be done on a server in which
> many people log in ( that shouldn't be rebootable / haltable by
> everyone), it would be good if it worked on one of my computers which is
> normally being turned on and off by users as needed.

I use `sudo' from the ports/packages collection for this purpose; it
allows to grant users special rights which usually require root privilege.

Regards

Konrad Heuer                                    Personal Bookmarks:
Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche
   Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen              http://www.freebsd.org
Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen                   http://www.daemonnews.o=
rg